1 red onion, chopped 2 tsp sea salt
2 stalks celery, chopped 2 quarts water
1 fennel bulb, chopped 2 tbsp paprika
½ cabbage 2 tsp caraway seeds
4 large cloves garlic, chopped 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 tsp freshly ground allspice
2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
5 sprigs parsley, chopped stems and leaves
1. Combine all ingredients, except for the chopped parsley, in a pot. Add 2 quarts of water.
2. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer covered for about 45 mins.
3. Adjust seasoning to taste. (Try not to add more salt)
4. Remove whole parsley sprigs from the pot.
5. Add freshly chopped parsley as a topping (if you only plan on using this soup for yourself store parsley in the refrigerator and add a tablespoon each time you enjoy a bowl.
6. Enjoy as a stand-alone bowl of soup or as Dr. Oz recommends serve with a side of traditionally fermented sauerkraut and chopped apples (warm or room temperature).
Let me know how it goes!